Monday, March 31, 2008

Super Street People.

There is a population in my town that I call "Super Street People". These are people, most often solitary, who live in old camper trucks or recreational vehicles. While it is true that they are "homeless", in the sense that they have no fixed address, their vehicles provide shelter and at least the basic amenities of domestic life. My area is a good one for these types. We have eight miles of public beach, with lots of toilets and outdoor showers. Yearly parking passes can be purchased at reasonable rates. There are lots of places around town where a person can park overnight, as long as you don't park in the same place too often.

This population ranges in age from early middle age to elderly. Many have chronic health problems and not a few have gross mental defects. Most of them seem to be pretty good drivers. You don't see them involved at intersection pileups. They are a lot less intrusive than conventional street people. They tend to spend a good deal of the time actually inside their vehicles, like hermit crabs. They do not sprawl across benches or lawns in public spaces. They usually do not shit in doorways. They do not ask passers by for money. I have never minded sharing my community with these poor souls. It has always seemed to me a not so bad way to live.

I think most of these people will be gone soon. The main costs involved in this lifestyle are food and fuel. These two categories are inflating at 40-50% a year. I think most of the car dwellers are on fairly fixed incomes. I think this Summer will be their swan song. Bummer. I hope they all have some other option lined up that does not involve shitting in doorways.

No comments: