Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Get Your Children Baptized, Even If You Don't Believe It's The Right Thing To Do

What do you think about this? I remember when I became an atheist. I was probably three years old. It was high Summer in the Central Valley California town where we lived. Parents with very young children likely to squirm and squall were required to take them up in the balcony of the sanctuary during the service. It was probably over a hundred and twenty up there, even at nine in the morning. I was short of breath and sweating profusely. There were two big horn loudspeakers on the back wall and the noise was rock concert intensity. I knew no God would want me up there. Ergo, no God. I never changed my mind.

Didn't matter. I went to church and Sunday school every week until I graduated from High School. I was baptized and went through confirmation classes. I attended church youth group activities faithfully. No choice involved. My parents thought it would be a good thing. I don't blame my parents. It's the way they were raised and what they were taught.

That parents in Argentina have enough independence and judgement to let their children make up their own minds about whether or not to be religious or to be baptized, shows caring and intelligence. Good for them.

This Bishop is an ignorant blowhard. He should be nailed into a sauna for a couple of hours with the a Black Sabbath album cranked up to 11 piped in.

No comments: