Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Summer Song

It's summertime. The best time of the year. you can keep your winter sleigh rides, autumn leaves and spring wildflowers. Summer is long days and warm nights, the beach, no school, first loves and last freedoms.

Back in the days of AM radio, they used to play little pop songs especially suited for summer. Usually, by the end of the season they began to wear on you. Sometimes a lot earlier than that. Some of them, you cherish all your life. It may be the song. It may have more to do with the memorability of the summer during which it was popular.

My all-time favorite is "Brown Eyed Girl", by Van Morrison. I don't even remember what year they first started playing it. Sometime in the late sixties, I think. I wouldn't want to be 35 again, or 25. If it could be 1969 again and I could be 17, that's a different story.

What's your favorite summer song?

1 comment:

Subvet said...

"Summer Breeze" by Seals & Croft. The lyrics said it all for me.