Saturday, November 24, 2007

So, Tell Me Again Why Churches Don't Pay Tax

Churches don't pay any taxes. Makes no sense to me why. They have a lot of money, they certainly could afford to pay taxes. They may say they are charitable institutions but about the only people they are charitable to are themselves. Most of the money they collect, seems to come, mostly, from exactly the kind of people that need to keep their money. Most of the people that end up spending the churches money already seem to have plenty.

One of the reasons that churches are granted tax immunity is that the money they collect is used to do good works. The biggest expense, by far, in the last 20 years, of the Roman Catholic Church, has been paying off the children that the clergy has sodomized. While I certainly think that the sodomized children deserve remuneration, I don't necessarily believe that sodomy should be a tax exempt activity.

Maybe we could establish some specific activities, the support of which, would qualify as charitable and therefore tax exempt. Maybe, any of us, if we spend our money supporting these activities, could write it off our taxes. On the other hand, if any of us decides to spend our money on recognizeably non charitable activities, like say, sodomizing young boys, you would be required to pay taxes on it.

I pay a lot of taxes. Sales taxes, property taxes, income taxes, none of which churches have to pay. I try to be a good neighbor. I don't get down on others as long as they don't bother me. If I need money, I work for it. I don't go around whining and begging from the old and the poor. I help out my family and friends, if they need it. Also, I really make a point of not sodomizing young children. I may be old fashioned but that's just the way I am.

I realize churches have a right to exist, even in my neighborhood, although we have to make sure to keep track of the kids, all the time. It just seems to me that we all ought to shoulder the burdens of society equally. Maybe it's time to look at this tax free status for churches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Non-religious groups have to be more accountable for where their money goes. Churches on the other hand, in order to avoid possibly excessive entanglements between church and state, recieve tax exemptions. Which they can loose rather easily.

And if you're really interested in protecting children, why don't you rail against public schools and predatory teachers. It is a fact that sexual molestations by teachers is higher than priests. You're not really interested in that, though, you're just interested in spewing hate speech against the Church.