Friday, May 08, 2009

Culinary Orthodoxy Matters

A lot of conservative commentators are critical over the way that Barack Obama likes his hamburgers. They don't like that he doesn't use ketchup. They don't like that he prefers the meat fully cooked. Most of all, they don't like that he requested Dijon mustard.

You know what? I agree with the pundits. A good quality burger with a thick patty should be cooked on the rare side. I almost always use ketchup, in some form or other to dress my burger. Dijon mustard has too subtle a blend of flavors to work on a fully dressed hamburger. I like to use regular old yellow mustard with a generous amount of fresh grated horseradish mixed in. The flavors in that really come through.

I don't really judge a persons politics by their gustatory inclinations. Obama can still be an OK president even if we don't share the same taste in burger preparation.

No comments: