Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Man Of the Week

Calvin Borel won the Preakness on Saturday, riding a filly, Rachel Alexandra. He won the Kentucky Derby last month, for the second time, on Mine that bird. This guy is 42 years old. He keeps life simple. He communes with thoroughbred race horses.

He's been a jockey since he was eight. He's been working the circuit, full time, since he was twelve. He doesn't read. He doesn't write. He doesn't ride the big racing events on the East or West coasts, even though he has had the opportunity to do just that, after garnering the fame which came with winning the Kentucky Derby two years ago. He lives with the horses he rides. He mucks out their stables. He feeds them. He exercises them daily. He trains them to race.

He's not married. He has a girlfriend. He lets her handle his financial matters. This may be his one big mistake. He should develop a business relationship with a banker and a CPA and let them supervise each other, while managing his money. He should just keep riding horses. He seems pretty good at it. It seems like steady work. He seems to like it.

Calvin is the kind of guy that every boy secretly wishes he could be. I know I always did. I still do.

2 comments:

beebs said...

Ramblin',

How was the cruise?

beebs

reddog said...

Little cool and breezy on the way up and in Victoria. Changed to bright and sunny in Vancouver and all the way back.

Had a great time on the ship. My fellow travelers were enthusiastic. The entertainment was hilarious. The ship was brand new, huge. Food was good. Beds were soft.

I've spent much more for an evening's concert tickets. I'd go again tomorrow for the same price. Well, maybe not.

Thank's for asking, big guy. I found out that these cruise lines all give hefty discounts to veterans. If I go on another cruise I will flash my DD214 at them.