Monday, March 31, 2008

September Song

I have been seeing Jamie Lee Curtis on TV lately. She has this commercial for laxative yogurt. You know, she's an old woman now. What a fuckin' downer. She's at least a few years younger than me. More likely, it's several.

I have no idea why but I still feel pretty good most of the time. I don't have anything I go to the doctor for. If I get a good nights sleep and take several hundred milligrams of ibuprofen, with my tea and toast, before a nice hot shower, I can go through the day feeling not too much worse than I did in my 20's. I haven't won any healthy lifestyle prizes over the years and the people in my family aren't known for sprightliness during old age. I have no illusion that I'm experiencing anything more than a kind of belated late middle age "Indian Summer". The hard frost and cold winds are commin', baby. It's just a matter of time and not much of that, I suspect.

I'm not going to try and take care of myself better. It's too late for that and I was never any good at it in the first place. I'm not going to save my money for when I get old. I know I'll be old soon but I hope I won't be old very long. I don't think I will. There is a lot that will be catching up to me, probably more than I can carry.

As it is, I feel good, damn good. The days seem to go quicker than they did but I enjoy them more than ever. I'm in no rush to go but I seem to be moving along faster than ever.

No comments: