Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Time to Move?

The value of my house is plummeting. Rents are still pretty high in my area. I could make money renting it out. Then, if I ever wanted to move back to SoCal, in my little beachy community, I could.

I have money I'm not doing anything with. There are many places that homes are cheap now. I can work anywhere and make good money by the standards of the community. Devils Lake, North Dakota is my wife's home town. It is a beautiful, rural county seat that hasn't changed since the 1920s. For $150,000 I can get the nicest house in town or something cozy on the lake shore. It's cold in the winter and 90 miles from a university town/cultural center. There is no crime what so ever. Tree lined streets, big lake, National wildlife preserve, everyone knows everyone. Wow!

I had a Navy buddy from Erie,PA. It's on the lake shore between Cleveland and Niagara Falls. Beautiful town. Transportation hub. Demographics mostly white. They're giving houses away.

Compared to most places, Nevada has very low taxes. They built a lot of houses in Las Vegas over the last 30 years. Many of them are now for sale cheap. You can get really cheap plane tickets from Vegas to almost anywhere in the World. Go down to the Strip. See a show. Gorge on cheap buffet.

Where would you consider moving to?

1 comment:

beebs said...

I've been looking at Ohio and West Virginia. My wife and I are living in the SF bay area and it is time to start looking for a retirement place.

Probably won't happen, but I like to look at various realtor sites.