Friday, November 13, 2009

Do You Use Your Land Line?

When I was young, you could still send a telegram. I don't think you can anymore. I'm sure nobody does. Western Union exists for the sole purpose of draining money out of the United States by illegal immigrants, who send it to their families in Bug Fuck, Egypt or where ever else they come from and need a reliable transfer.

Phone companies are going the same way as Western Union. They have peripheral businesses that may keep them around forever but I don't know anybody under forty that still has a land line or anybody under sixty that still uses one. My parents are in their eighties and are considering getting rid of their phone. Face it. You really don't want or need to talk to anybody you don't trust with your cell number. You never answer that land line. You don't even listen to the messages on it anymore. Get rid of it.

I'm fifty eight, I don't have any kind of phone. I talk to people over the interwebs, they never know the difference.

Don't buy phone company stock.

5 comments:

Steve Harkonnen said...

The big up and coming things:

1. Internet via electricity.

2. Transmission of current. No wires needed. Tesla did it and so should we, but we need to go from AC to DC.

3. End of SMTP to be replaced with a protocol yet un-named. End of email as we know it; the new one is more dynamic.

Steve Harkonnen said...

Forgot to add:

4. Teleportation.

Steve Harkonnen said...

5. Creation of singluarities where we can travel backward in time.

bothenook said...

singularities to travel back in time? hell, we can't even guarantee a normal procession of time forward let along go backwards....

reddog said...

I'm at a loss. I was just speculating about phones, not science fiction. It's OK though. This is fun.

I guess that broadcast power might be possible but if that were the case, we ought to be able to utilize the natural differences in atmospheric polarity. I doubt Tesla could really do it. I don't think we're close.

As much as I like the idea of non linear time. I have always been firmly trapped in the regular old linear stuff. If you can get me out of it before I die, I'd be grateful.

I think if there is ever teleportation that it will be more likely a virtual copy could be sent and assembled elsewhere and the original traveler will then exist both places and will from that point evolve as two different beings.

Bo, if you'd quit smoking that evil weed, you's have no problem perceiving a normal progression of time forward but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Good to hear from you. How was the pumkin patch this year?