Thursday, May 01, 2008

May Day

May Day fell out of favor during the Cold War because it was a popular celebration in the Communist Bloc. I remember as a small child in the fifties, we made May baskets, put flowers in them and presented them to the objects of our affection. Tether ball poles in the school yard were converted into maypoles and we danced around on the blacktop to songs played on a scratchy phonograph, through loud but distorted horn speakers.

In recent years, May Day has become the unofficial holiday reserved for publicizing the cause of illegal aliens. Last year there were big riots and the police beat the shit out of the crowds downtown. If I was younger, I'd go downtown and enjoy the atmosphere and adrenaline rush that Civil Disobedience always brings on. There will be good street food, bacon wrapped hot dogs, carne asada, carnitas, icy fresh fruit drinks, yum!

I don't run that good anymore. I would probably get pummeled and tasered. I guess I'll stay home.

No comments: