Monday, May 19, 2008

PRETTY-DAMN-CREEPY

I was reading this article about fundamentalist Christians, reprinted from the the New York Times. It had to do with teen age and adolescent girls who attend a formal dance with their fathers. At the climax of this affair the couples go one by one before a huge wooden cross in the middle of the dance floor and the girls swear they will remain chaste until marriage and the fathers swear to enforce the daughters vow. There was a color slide show with a lot of pictures. These girls are in formal gowns, some of them low cut with a lot of cleavage and some slit up the thigh. The fathers are all decked out in tuxedos.

I have to admit that this is nowhere near as bad as polygamous marriages to thirteen year old first cousins when you're 50 or locking your daughter into a basement dungeon and raping her for 25 years, fathering seven children. It is still PRETTY-DAMN-CREEPY!

I don't imagine it works, at all. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these girls didn't have strange dreams about this experience for a long time afterwards.

1 comment:

beebs said...

I've got an 18 year old daughter. I can't imagine going to such a dance and hoping that it would work.

It's well established that Abstinence Only programs don't work, no matter how much federal money is pumped into it.

Don't get me started on the DARE program!