Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Local Rag And A Few Hundred Others, Going Bust

Used to be called the Santa Ana Register. Every town had it's own rag, until they didn't. Then it was the Orange County Register. Only paper left in a County of more than a few million people and they still can't make it pay. A guy named RC Hoiles started it. He was still alive, running the operation and writing editorials when I was young. He was what used to be called an arch conservative. Today he would be a libertarian. I never disagreed with with a lot of his basic tenets but a lot of what he wrote was just mean and the people and politicians he allied himself with were kooks. Probably because he had gotten so old and cranky.

Hoiles has been dead for many decades. It's a pretty good paper. The only source of reliable local news. They used to run a local cable news channel that was OK but couldn't make it pay either. I take the LA Times because I always have. It used to be a great paper. It will go under soon too. Nobody reads a paper anymore. Surprisingly, there's a throwaway called The OC Weekly that's pretty good, and seems to be thriving. Most of the advertising is for prostitutes, drugs and plastic surgery. I don't mind. They have done some pretty good investigative journalism in the last several years. They have distribution boxes at every strip mall and public building.

People think this is about the internet. It's not though. Nobody reads. It's been coming for decades. I don't think it will be a good thing when there are no more newspapers. The time is coming though, soon.

3 comments:

Steve Harkonnen said...

So which element would you blame for the demise of newspapers?

And, seeing I am here, your Seawolf patch snagged my interest. That sub has a very interesting history from what I learned during my time in the navy, but I'd get into trouble repeating those stories here.

reddog said...

People just aren't interested in reading about the life of their community anymore.

Part of it's apathy, part is that people get their news from TV and the internet, part is that some people just don't read anything.

Being aboard the Seawolf underway, was like was like going thru the looking glass into another World. I loved it. Great crew. Exciting times. Unfortunately, she never was underway very much. Poor old mutilated monster girl, gimping off into the history books, one leg shorter than the other, the beat of her reactor heart weak and erratic, howling out her pain and frustration.

Steve Harkonnen said...

But what a fascinating history - those daring missions where most would've thought twice before going into shallow waters, doing what they did best.

If memory of history serves me well, didn't Seawolf at one time have a sodium cooled reactor much alike the same type as Fermi I outside of Detroit?