Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Debate Two

I think I'm a fiscal conservative. I'm certainly more conservative than anyone who's run for President since Barry Goldwater. There usually is no correlation between fiscal responsibility and party affiliation in politics, in this country, just a difference in how they will spend the money they don't have. The last fiscal conservative to hold the White House was Herbert Hoover. The most fiscally conservative since Hoover was Bill Clinton. I don't pick my candidates based on spending proclivity. It would be futile. Neither McCain nor Obama is likely to be thrifty. They didn't address this issue with any believability. McCain is more likely to fund war and keep the taxes of the wealthy low. Obama probably will treat old people better and make health care more affordable. Both will let Congress run big deficits. Neither cares about decreasing the national debt. I go with Obama.

On defense, both are way more hawkish than me. I believe in a military establishment, for deterrence and defense only, neither need be expensive. McCain says he is a cool hand on the tiller. He has shown time and again he has a hair trigger and is quick to fight. He likes a big stick and a heavy hand. At least Obama was against Iraq and wants to get us out of there. Both seem to want to ramp us up in Afghanistan and Pakistan, big mistake. I think Obama is less likely to get us into even more wars. I go with Obama.

I'm not crazy about Obama's healthcare package. McCain was unable to even articulate his healthcare plan coherently. Obama wins by default.

On the economy, neither one of them even has a clue. Both of them said the same thing. Once again, McCain was less articulate, to the point that he seemed confused and mentally impaired.

There wasn't anything new tonight. Same old stuff from both of them. Obama is a better communicator, it shows. McCain did a lot better than I thought he might. He's smarter than Palin. He is waaay better on his feet than Bush. Who isn't? Both stayed away from name calling and personal smears, smart boys. Nobody wants to hear it and it damages the the name caller worse than the subject.

I'll be honest. I don't like either one of these guys. Obama's not about change. McCain's not a maverick. Palin is a dingbat, religious wacko with a simplistic world view, without even the basic knowledge to learn what she needs to know, to lead the country. Biden is a jaded old pol, with the disconcerting tendency to bleed into his head but of the four, he is the guy I'd go with.

I'll be even more honest with you. I actively dislike John McCain. Surprise, surprise. Every time he addresses the camera as "My Friends", my teeth grate. I don't think he's my friend. I don't think he has many friends. It tells me he is a lying, insincere, little cocksucker. People that address you like that, are usually trying to get you to do something nasty. People that say it all the time, always turn out to have criminal tendencies. I don't like the fact that he is so old and sick. The obvious implication is that he won't function well or even at all, through the coming term. More than that, old, sick people, are self absorbed and tend not to care about others. That's not what I want in a President. Obama is younger, with two little girls he loves very much. I think he will be personally motivated to serve America better, in regard to its future.

No comments: