Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I'm Sick Of It. Fuck'em.

I've watched a lot of Presidential debates. I always get excited about them. I always end up disappointed. The more I watch the less excited and more disappointed I end up getting. The dialogue always ends up coalescing around the contents of the stump speeches and the canned talking points. Within a week after the beginning of a campaign, I've heard everything of substance that I'm going to hear and from that point on the candidates become more and more guarded about what they let out, lest they commit the error that dooms their candidacy. I don't know about everyone else but I find these debates incredibly boring. They show me nothing but disrespect and insult my position as a citizen and voter because of the guardedness and obfuscation. I end up being less sure of where the candidates really stand than I originally thought. I end up knowing nothing about who they really are. Almost any other type of exposure to the candidate would be more welcome than one of these stupid debates.

It doesn't even have to be about the issues. I'd like to hear them talk about the upcoming NBA season or the MLB season coming to a close. I'd like to watch McCain, Obama, Palin and Biden play in a late night, high stakes poker tournament. I'd like to spend a semester rooming with them at a college dorm. How 'bout we all go non qual, non rated on a 90 day run, underway on nuclear power, mess cooking, field daying, spending mid watch on the planes, chain smoking, drinking triple strength coffee from the boiler in crews mess, spiked with hot chocolate mix? I want to know what they see as beautiful and why. Where they would spend time if they could go anywhere at all for as long as they wanted.

I'll tell you the truth. I don't give a shit where they stand on the issues. It's not important. It doesn't matter. I want to know what kind of man or woman is in there. I want to see how they deal with the stresses and decisions of life and the people that they are going to be leading, as a nation, through it. Do they have the strength, compassion, perspective and insight to be the leader of all the people and not just the ones who pay the freight or share their orientation? This is exactly the kind of information they try the most to hide. Fuck'em. Hard.

This is not a Republican against Democrat problem. This is a corruption of the system by both parties, who don't want to show us who we are really voting for. We end up voting blind and we pay a terrible price for it. Over and over and over again.

2 comments:

beebs said...

We don't know who we are voting for. We have an impression of who the candidates are.

I'd pick any planesman on USTAFISH vs the critters who are running, that's for sure.

But like I read on another blog, Barack would have to be caught with a goat to lose now.

Nereus said...

I agree with beebs on this, I would rather trust the numbskull that did the wake-ups and drove the boat than to trust most of the arrogant/entitled elitist who are in charge of the the course of our republic. We the people need to throw out ALL of the incumbent/standing politician's, in the House, Senate, and Executive branches because they are all in the pocket's of the Banks, Oil and other Wall ST special interests.