Monday, October 13, 2008

Help Me, John McCain!

There are just 3 weeks left before the election. Obama is starting to pull ahead of McCain in States that the Democrats haven't won in decades. The Congressional contests are starting to look like they will be a slaughter for Republicans.

John McCain can turn things around but he has to take radical steps and quickly press his advantage home. What he has been doing has not been working. The only McCain campaign promise that has been well received has been his promise to buy up all the bad mortgages and then reprice them for the mortgage holders, according to what the home is currently valued at. This is a plan that resonates with voters he needs to win over to achieve victory. He needs to build on this plan and go farther. Since the Treasury has decided to print trillions of new dollars anyway, it doesn't matter how much he gives away.

First, he should eliminate the idea that the homeowner should have to pay back anything. The fact that a homeowner was willing to go into debt in the first place to get a house, shows good faith. It isn't his fault that the price turned out to be more than he could afford or that its value has now decreased. He should be rewarded for taking that risk. We should just give him the house. He will have to pay the property taxes on it and lay out money for upkeep, that's more than enough. If there are nicer houses in the neighborhood that are currently in default and vacant, the homeowner should have the option of a free upgrade to that house. Families that haven't been able to afford a house should not be punished. They should be given houses from the pool of those currently in default. If not enough houses exist, the government should fund the building of modest but adequate homes for the houseless. A reward for the responsibilities incurred by being American. This would stimulate the building trades. We need that.

There is more that John McCain could do. Many people have been forced deeply into credit card debt. This is affecting their ability to borrow the money that they currently need to make ends meet. To get the economy rolling, we need to get Americans borrowing again. They can't do that with maxed out credit cards. John McCain should promise to pay off all the credit card debt. This will get many undecided voters off the fence.

I don't have a mortgage or any credit card debt. I didn't even get a damn stimulus check. My tax guy says I made too much money. I don't think it's so damn much. After the carnage in the stock markets over the last few months. I'm not feeling too flush. I think John McCain owes me something too. Just like the other guys, I'm not asking for anything I don't deserve. By risking my money in the market, I help to build the American capitalist system. Now that I am hurting, John McCain should make good my losses. I'm not looking for a hand out. I just want back what is mine.

If John McCain knows what's good for him, he better think about what's good for me, the American voter.

1 comment:

beebs said...

Well, cupcake, we just filed. (I'm a procrastinator of the first degree) Our tax enrolled agent says we will be getting a little money back from unca sam, and we get the stimulus package.

I had to twist my eighteen year old daughter's taxes around so that she could get stimulated also.

I fucken hate paying taxes. I consider it theft. If the IRS agents were honest, they'd have real jobs, helping people.