Monday, April 26, 2010

Advice For Dim Witted Tomato Growers

Today it is three weeks since I got my two tomato plants, re potted them and put them out on my little back patio. Mostly they only get indirect sunlight back there but it doesn't seem to be a big problem. They are about three times as tall now, are blooming profusely and have put on a lot of foliage. About a week ago I gave them a little shot of plant food. I have been watering them every other day

Yesterday, they were looking good but the potting soil was a little dryish, so I drenched them down. A couple hours later, I was out there and looked at them and something seemed wrong. All of the foliage was drooping badly. It took me a few minutes to figure out what the problem was. The plants had pumped so much water up into the leaves, so quickly, that the weight of them was making it hard for the still thin and pliable, green stems to hold them up.

I had been worrying about over watering, when I had been under watering them.

I guess I will water them every day from now on. Once they really get going, I probably will have to water morning and evening. I can do that.

Photosynthesis is a wonderful thing.

No comments: