Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cilantro? That's the least of it

Here's an article about cilantro. The gist of it is that it tastes rank to some people. I agree that it tastes a little foul but I love the stuff. It's in a lot of Latin, South Asian, Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dishes, so I guess I'm blessed by the God of foul tasting food.

When you think about it, a lot of foods have what might be characterized as off or rotten smells and tastes. I like a lot of those too. Ripe cheeses and other dairy products like buttermilk and yogurt qualify. How about salted anchovies and other various pickled seafood? Kalamata olives fit right in there. Do you like kim che? Nobody can deny it's pretty foul. Have you ever tried durian fruit from South East Asia? Wow! Can't forget to mention balut, from the Philippines. How about beer. Remember the first time you tried beer? Most people don't like it. I was hooked from the first quaff. I like all that stuff. I probably would like foul tasting foods I haven't even had yet. Bring on the Mongolian fermented mare's milk. Perhaps people like me have an extra set of taste buds that let us enjoy these types of foods. Shit eating dogs probably have the same thing.

I guess I'm just a lucky guy.

No comments: