Thursday, May 27, 2010

Praising Sexual Predators

Sex and the City II is opening this weekend. I guess the first one made some money. I didn't see it.

This is the continuing story of a gang of much practiced and highly skilled serial sexual predators, practicing their craft unimpeded.

A lot of people think it's cute. This is a story that would never work in the entertainment mass media if the main characters were cunning, manipulative, more than a little over the hill, middle aged men. As long as the characters are women, it's all right. I'm not saying that's bad or unfair to men. It's just the way it is.

It's nothing shockingly new. I remember a movie, "How to Marry a Millionaire", with Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Lauren Bacall and Betty Grable, came out when I was a very little boy. In that movie, the predatory women were after financially advantageous marriage, not gratuitous sex and not so superannuated but the practiced, predatory sexual overtones were the same. It was a big hit almost 60 years ago. I hear Nicole Kidman wants to do a remake.

No comments: