Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Waiting For The Storm

Is anyone besides me wondering why the Bible thumpers and rednecks aren't already screaming bloody murder about Barry's plan to abolish don't ask don't tell? Since homosexuals are abominations against God and criminal perverts to boot, you'd think they'd pipe up right away.

It's gotta be a tough call for them. I'm sure they don't want to be seen as doing anything that didn't "support the troops". Everybody knows there are lots of Gays in the military. It was never any secret on my boat who was Gay. They're a little different. Even the tattoos. Never was a problem that I could see. I knew a couple of Gay guys that I considered unsuited to military service but not because they were Gay. Besides that, deciding who was suitable for military service was never part of my military qualifications.

This has been a long drawn out transition, nothing like when Truman racially desegregated the military, at least on paper, overnight. I doubt there will be a lot of problems.

One thing I would really like to see changed in the military is the officer/enlisted divide. It isn't the fact that it perpetuates an antiquated class system that bothers me. The system enables people in both sides to reach positions of authority for which they have no aptitude and were never competent.

1 comment:

W.C. Varones said...

Testaclese,

I have the same philosophy with regard to prostitutes.