Monday, September 21, 2009

The Sacriment of Two Become One

This is an interesting article. You always read how half, or even a little more, of all marriages end in divorce and maybe it's true but in fact, the vast majority of people only marry once during their life, even if they don't marry for life

What has always interested me is how most of the people that get divorced, that I know, are the ones that believe in marriage the most. They are often religious. They often believe that it's possible to find that one perfect soul mate that meets every need and expectation. When the person they marry turns out not to have that capacity, the relationship becomes ultimately intolerable and the more they try to make things right, the more devastated they become. Sometimes people like this will go through a whole slew of marriages, trying and failing to find "the one". The ensuing divorces are very acrimonious, progressively more hurtful and it really fucks up their various spouses.

I never thought I'd get married. I didn't get married for a long time. It got very lonely and the idea of being single for the rest of my life started to really seem like a bad idea. I liked the woman I married but I'm not sure I even understand the one great, be all end all, love of your life concept, much less aspire to it. I've had electric, hit by a thunderbolt, falling in love experiences and not all of them were about sex. The problem with that is, it lasts about 10 days or 2 weeks, then you start to get to know the other person and the decompression kills the relationship.

Mostly, I said to myself at the time of my marriage, "This is a woman who will be able to tolerate me for the rest of her life."

With only a few temporary exceptions, that's turned out to be true. Next Spring, it will be 28 years. I'm not putting myself up as the perfect example of matrimony but I think we're both satisfied with the way it turned out. Usually I'm never satisfied with anything in my life for more than 3 or4 years. I'm more happy now with the marriage than I have ever been. I love this woman more than anyone else in my entire life. I have no regrets and intend spend the rest of my life with her. I hope she lets me.

I've got to admit, I do know some people that believe they have found the perfect mate that satisfies all needs and fills all voids in their life but the other person in the relationship, the need satisfier and void filler, is never having a good life and at some level, the found the perfect mater knows this. Too much guilt for me. I'll take what I got.

1 comment:

Buck said...

Congratulations. Only 26 for me. Not many of us long term marriage folks about these days.