Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Swelling the Ranks

Supposedly there are a half million "traditionalist" Anglicans that are going to join the Catholic church. They are unhappy with the liberal ways of their old church. Mostly I think that means they are homophobes. I don't think that many of these traditionalists are in England. I think most of them are in the colonial countries of the Southern hemisphere.

Anglicans and Catholics aren't all that different but there are still a lot of issues that separate them. Celibacy of clergy, divorce, the entire issue of women's reproductive rights. I'm pretty sure Anglicans don't have Purgatory or sell indulgences. There is the whole issue of the church being subordinate to the State vs the State being subordinate to the church, which is how the Anglican church got started in the first place. This is entirely different than the separation of church and State issue, which neither of these churches subscribe too. There is also the homosexual clergy issue to iron out. These Anglican guys are angry because of openly gay clergy. Most of the Catholic clergy is gay, only they stay in the closet and only come out to bugger young boys. So that's supposed to be all right with these Anglicans, once they join the Catholics? I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

The Catholics were going to bring those Lefevrists in too. That didn't work out so well. I guess I wouldn't hold my breath.

No comments: